The Nobel Institute
The Norwegian Nobel Institute was founded on February 1, 1904, for the purpose of assisting the Nobel Committee in its task of deciding who is to be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. The Director of the Institute is the Nobel Committee's permanent secretary, and the Institute can be regarded as the Committee's secretariat.
To begin with the Institute rented offices in Victoria Terrasse in downtown Oslo, but by May 1905 it was able to move into its present building in Henrik Ibsens gate 51. The award ceremony was moved there the same year, having previously taken place in the Storting. The building, originally built in 1867 as a private residence, had then undergone extensive renovation.
The Institute contains offices, a meeting room, the Nobel Hall, a research department, and a well-stocked library with a reading room. The Nobel Committee holds all its meetings in a special meeting room devoted exclusively to this purpose. The tradition has gradually developed of using the Nobel Hall both for the announcement of the year's Peace Prize in October and for the Laureate's press conference on December 9, the day before the award ceremony in the Oslo City Hall.
The Nobel Institute arranges meetings, lectures and seminars, as well as holding so-called Nobel Symposia. The symposia are attended by specially invited experts and decision-makers from many countries who gather to discuss selected topics relating to peace and conflicts.
© Photo: Ken Opprann / Norwegian Nobel Institute
© Foto: Ken Opprann / Nobelinstituttet