The building which houses the Norwegian Nobel Institute is located at Henrik Ibsens gate 51 (formerly Drammensveien 19) in Oslo. The property belongs to the Nobel Foundation in Stockholm, but is at the disposal of the Norwegian Nobel Institute and the Norwegian Nobel Committee. The area of the site is 1,258 m², and the floor space of the main building is 726 m² (2,391 m² in all).
The Nobel Institute took over the property in December 1903 and moved in in the spring of 1905. Previous owners had been the widow Mrs. Sophie Gellertsen (subsequently Gamborg), who had the mansion built in 1867, Chamberlain F.W. Treschov, and Consul-General Chr. Christophersen. The house was designed by architect and master mason Thøger Binneballe. A porter's lodge and a coachhouse were added when Treschov took possession in 1887. The round-arched gate that links the porter's lodge with the main building was put up in connection with the Nobel Institute's extensive rebuilding in 1905.
The architects Carl and Jørgen Berner were commissioned to carry out the rebuilding. Carl Berner designed much of the interior in the "art nouveau" style popular at the time. The Nobel Committee's meeting room has been preserved almost exactly as Berner designed it. The original rostrum in the banqueting hall has also been preserved, but is not at present in use.
© Photo: Norwegian Nobel Institute